Calgary Aluminum Wiring Replacement Solutions
Many houses built in and around Calgary in the 1960’s and throughout the 1970’s were wired with aluminum. Aluminum wire was used for residential electrical wiring back then because it was a much cheaper alternative to copper. Aluminum is a great conductor however there have been problems with aluminum wiring that have caused loose connections, resulting in overheating and in some cases caused a fire. So for electrical safety, aluminum wiring is no longer used for branch circuit wiring in housing.
When you have aluminum wiring in your home, you may not know that it is the cause of problems you're experiencing with your electrical system. Some indicators of existing aluminum wiring may be:
- Flickering lights
- Receptacles and switches hot to the touch
- Smoke and or sizzling sounds coming from the receptacle or switch
- Smell of burning plastic or rubber
- Loss of power throughout the house
- Circuit breaker trips for no reason
Technically Speaking, Why Does Aluminum Wiring Need Replacement?
Aluminum wiring can be dangerous due to the fact that it’s a softer metal and depending on the ambient temperature, the amount of load and heat produced along with the vibration in the building, aluminum can expand and shrink more than copper. When this happens the aluminum wire can come loose from its intended connection causing arcing and sparking and could become a serious fire hazard.
When you hire a Calgary electrician, we offer a cost effective method to resolve this problem that is less intrusive than the alternative, which is cutting drywall in order to replace the home's wiring with copper. All our methods meet and exceed the Canadian Electrical code.
Aluminum Wiring Replacement Solutions We Provide
- Aluminum Wiring Retrofits
- Residential Aluminum Re-Wiring
- Aluminum Wiring Copper Replacement
- Commercial Aluminum Wiring Replacement
- Aluminum Wire Replacement Cost Estimates
- Aluminum Wiring Repair